Thursday 19 March 2009

Body Modification






We all modify our bodies in some way or another, whether we just cut our hair or pierce holes in our skin. Invasive or uninvasive? Permanent or temporary? We all do it ... so why do we cringe and "ick out" at certain ways of body modification?

Personally I find forms of piercing, tattooing and other things considered social norm like hair cutting and nail trimming acceptable. But hardcore forms of these practises can be a little disturbing - such as separation of the tongue and piercings which are stretched beyond repair. Many people in today's society use extreme forms of body modification to look good or be fashionable within certain cults or trends, but many forms of the practices carried out today have deeper routes with the past especially within tribes of some sort, and were used as a form of identity.






I, myself am guilty of this crime - i have my hair dyed, i trim my nails, i use hair removal methods all to help me "fit" in with the modern idea of how a women should treat her body. I fell into the trap like many others, because I wanted to look beautiful and when I modified my body in these particular ways I felt good about myself, so I continue to modify myself.


Eventually I plucked up the courage to get my ears pierced, it looked good so I had them pierced again in a different place, and I want to continue, due to the thrill I get after the pain.


The media plays a huge part in the body modification industry - more and more people are wanting tattoos or piercings in more unusual places due to the demand for a unique identity.


To me, a man is instantly more attractive if he has a "emo" look about him - and to achieve this look - he must have tattoos/piercings. This sort of attraction is due to the fact he can experience pain and is not afraid of it - deep-routed in a primitive sort of brain. However, I would find a man with a parted tongue or filed teeth VERY unattractive, but I know people that would deem it sexy.


I guess whether body modification is bad, or whether it is what helps shape our personal identities is up to the individual. Personally I believe that it is what shapes us and makes us human however we choose to do it. I do not think that it is immoral, unless it physically or mentally harms someone against their will.
p.s. Check out the hot picture of Oli Sykes at the top of the page ;) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment