Tuesday 31 March 2009

Jade Goody - Do we really want to know?




So after what seemed like weeks and weeks of Jade Goody's story, she has passed away...
I feel for her family, especially her two young boys who have now been left without a mother. I feel for her husband who has been left without a wife and I feel for her own mother, as she has had to watch her beloved daughter slip away before her very eyes.
But...
As a nation, did we really want to watch her die a slow and painful death? Have we stooped so low that we find enjoyment from watching an icon be taken by cancer? I understand that she wanted to leave as much money for her family as possible, but it just bought back horrendous memories for me. Personally I did not want to see her die.
Someone very close to me was taken by cancer a couple of years ago - and the constant reminder "cancer here" "cancer there" "death" was not comforting at all.
I feel that Jade's case was singled out from millions of cancer cases, and we were made to believe she was alone in the fight against the disease. Surely, because of this many other cancer patients may of felt disregarded, and upset that they could not leave the same legacy for their families.
However, I do believe that something positive has come from this - as more women are agreeing to have cervical smears on the NHS, as they are scared for their own health.

Reportedly OK! Magazine paid out £700,000 to cover the events.
We should not put a price on DEATH!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7925719.stm

No comments:

Post a Comment