Wednesday 6 May 2009

Comedians


Despite what anybody says; some jokes are offensive.

Of course, the majority of jokes can be funny, however there are a selection of 'jokes' which are out of order or that some people may find hurtful.

I personally feel that the phase 'only joking' can often lead to justification, despite the phase being said purposefully, and it meaning to offend. This is especially prominent when jokes are racist, sexist or a direct attack on an individual.

I cannot say that I am innocent in this crime...I have used the excuse 'only joking' many times before, when I saw the reactions of the others around me.

Perhaps we make jokes about other people to hide our own insecurities? And a popular argument that surrounds the telling of ethic jokes, is that we tell them to dismiss the worlds problems and pass them onto someone else. Humour is produced by the experience of a felt incongruity between our expectations and what really happens in the joke.

Jokes by definition aren't true, so should we censor comedy?

I do not believe that comedy should be restricted in any way, but I do believe that people should be more considerate when making jokes about certain individuals. If a joke consists of a matter of opinion then it cannot be offensive, but instead, a work of journalism.


But... jokes can be considered when they are based on unfair stereotypes and they often reinforce the status-quo.


No comments:

Post a Comment